45' Long by 16' High
In the early 1800s, conflict arose in southern Alabama and Georgia area between the established Creek Indians and the American settlers who attempted to occupy their land. The Southeastern Army of the United States established Fort Scott in Georgia to protect the early settlers in 1816. With the protection of the soldiers, the area started growing.
About 1819, Fort Scott became infested with malaria and dysentery caused by the fact that the fort was bordered by two rivers (Chattahoochee and Flint) and the area was quite swampy and swarming with mosquitoes. Soldiers considered Fort Scott to be one of the deadliest military assignments in the country because of the number of soldiers dying of the rampant malaria and dysentery at the fort. On September 15, 1820, to fight the disease, the army established Camp Recovery across the Flint River, about three miles from the fort, to separate the sick soldiers from those who were still well. There was also a cemetery established nearby for the soldiers who perished at Camp Recovery. The camp was later abandoned on November 23, 1820.
This mural depicts Camp Recovery, which was the first known hospital in this part of Alabama and Georgia. The mural shows the tents housing the medical facilities and the tents for the ill soldiers. Soldiers in the mural are depicted in uniforms typical of the 19th century. The site of Camp Recovery and the nearby cemetery is marked with a historical marker placed by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and a large cannon. The cannon was one of three sent from Fort Clinch, Florida in 1882. The other two 32 pound cannons mark the sites of Fort Hughes and Fort Scott.