53' Long by 18' High
Fort Scott, located on the Flint River near its confluence with the Chattahoochee River, was very important to the Wiregrass area. Until it was built in late 1816, the Indians, mainly the Creeks and Red Sticks, made life for the settlers in this area very dangerous. During its short life, the soldiers at the Fort “tamed the Indians,” and provided protection for the settlers, as well as attracting new settlers.
Andrew Jackson arrived at the Fort on March 9, 1818, with his staff and troops of the Georgia Militia. He massed his troops here for his push into Spanish Florida against Indians who had been raiding in to Georgia. The Fort was occupied at this time by forces of the 7th Regiment.
The trees and bushes where the Fort was located were swept away by a flood in the early 1950s, and the original outline of the Fort became evident.
Fort Scott was located on a bluff of red clay, some twenty-five feet straight up from the Flint River when it was at normal level. The palisade was built from pine logs, set in a trench dug by the troopers’ shovels, as can be seen today where the Fort stood. Tracks of sleds and wagons used to haul supplies from river boats can still be seen in the clay bank.
The first sawmill in this area was Pit Mill located on the Fort to saw boards and siding.
The outline of the Fort was roughly 300 feet wide and 1400 feet long, according to the post holes and relics picked up by Jack Wingate, who did the research for this history.
The people whose pictures appear at the top of the mural were stationed at the Fort or lived there during its short life. The most notable were Andrew Jackson and Zachary Taylor, both of whom were later elected Presidents of the U.S.