222' Long by 34' High (East) & 24' High (West)
In the 1800s pitch, which is a product of the resin that is gathered by slashing the pine trees, was used primarily to caulk the wooden sailing ships that sailed the world’s oceans, and to water proof their decks. All ships at that time were made of wood. England was buying every barrel of pitch the U.S. could produce.
This area was covered by huge pine forests, but there was no railroad here, and we were too far away from the river to use the steamboats to haul the heavy barrels of pitch and turpentine to the Gulf to be shipped to England and the eastern markets. With the arrival of the railroad in Dothan on August 13, 1889, distant markets became available to us and the turpentine gathers quickly moved in to slash the trees in the great forest that blanketed this area to gather the resin (or gum as the workers called it) to be distilled into pitch and turpentine, and the area prospered.